MIS Career Advisor
Have you stopped by the Career Center lately? Need your resume critiqued? Need to prepare for an interview?
Then please feel free to contact me. My name is Laura Ledgerwood and I am your Career Consultant. I am here to assist you with resume critiques, career coaching, interview skills, internships and much more!
Each semester we want to provide you with a list of upcoming events and ways to connect with companies!
1. Appointments: To set up an appointment with me, please contact the front desk at 706-542-3375.
2. Satellite hours: I will be in the Miller Learning Center (across from Jittery Joes) from 2:00p.m. to 4:00p.m. every Thursday.
3. Student walk-in: 10-15 minute appointments are available from 12:00p.m. to 2:00p.m. Monday through Friday at the Career Center. I am on duty every Tuesday from 12:00p.m. to 2:00p.m.
4. Upcoming events for students:
5. Enjoy your semester and make sure you stop by the Career Center!
- Careers in Consulting Workshop: September, 5, 2012 | MLC #150 | 6PM-7:30PM
Are you interested in the fast-paced world of business consulting? Attend this panel program to learn more about the industry, job opportunities, and career paths of consultants. This panel will feature a group of real professionals sharing their own career stories, and will also allow students the opportunity to ask questions about what it is like to be a business consultant.
- Terry Career Boot Camp: Career Fair Prep: September 12, 2012 | Tate Student Center, Grand Hall - 5th Floor | 12:20PM-1:10PM
Are you ready for the fall career fair? Attend this informative presentation and get tips from an employer about how to make a positive and lasting first impression at the career fair through your introduction, delivery, and approach to employers on the day of the event.
- Resume Writing Workshop: September 12, 2012 | MLC #150 | 6PM-7PM
Presented by Christie Sanders and Kate Shepard, this workshop will help you learn what makes a resume stand out for the right, and wrong, reasons! Christie is an Assistant Director/Senior Career Consultant and has been with the UGA Career Center for 13 years. Kate is an Assistant Director, Executive Search and Consulting at Quest Group LLC. Plus, she is a UGA Alumnus!
- Fall Career Fair: September 19, 2012 | The Classic Center | 12PM-5PM
Meet with recruiters seeking students to fill both internship and full time opportunities. Please dress professionally and bring copies of your resume! Shuttles will run from campus to the Classic Center between 11:30am and 5:00pm.
To discuss your resume or cover letter, internship and job opportunities, or any general questions you can:
Looking forward to meeting and getting to know each of you!
- Schedule an appointment by calling (706) 542-3375
- Visit our walk-in hours every Thursday in the MLC
- Walk-ins welcome at the Career Center. Tuesdays 12:00p.m. - 2:00p.m.
UGA Career Center
Career Consultant for Terry College of Business
2nd Floor Clarke Howell Hall
MIS Career Advisor
MIS Recruiting Handbook
The MIS Advisory Board, working in conjunction with faculty, the Career Center, and industry professionals, has created a recruiting handbook specifically tailored to MIS students. This handbook contains information about the major, strategies for crafting your resume/cover letter, career resources at your disposal, and a company profiles document, which contains an overview of those companies that most frequently hire UGA MIS graduates and their appropriate contacts.
MIS Major Information:
- Projected Four-Year Plan
- Professional Development Requirements
- MIST 4800: IS Internship Syllabus
- Career Resources
- Survey Results of 3rd Semester MIS Students
Resume and Cover Letter Resources:
- Resume Guidelines
- Resume Writing Techniques
- Advanced Resume Writing Techniques
- Cover Letter Writing
- Sample Resume
Company Profiles and Contacts:
- Company Profiles
- UGA Career Center Web Site
- Terry College of Business Career Web Site
- Dawg Link
- MIS at Terry Web Site
- MIS Department Head